Featured patient experiences
Featured Case 09/20: Cosmetic Jaw Surgery
- Chad is a 30-year-old who had concerns about his facial appearance.
- In particular, he was not fond of his relatively short and “square” facial shape.
- He wanted to have a smile that was more attractive but not certain what it took to fulfill that desire.
- Chad sought numerous consultations for orthodontics (braces), jaw reconstructive surgery, and facial plastic surgery.
- After seeing multiple specialists, he narrowed his search down to 2 orthodontists and 2 Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons from which to choose.
- He had no perceptible issues with his bite or chewing ability.
- The other orthodontist and Oral & Maxillofacial team recommended he have braces and lower jaw advancement surgery.
- After numerous consultations, Chad felt comfortable with our recommendations to address his cosmetic request.
- Chad demonstrated what has described as a Brachyfacial (short vertical and square shape) presentation.
- His lower face (below the nose to the chin) was shorter than the midface (between the brows to under the nose).
- He showed very little upper teeth when smiling making him seem aged.
- His teeth and bite appeared very acceptable and stable.
- Computer simulations were performed to give Chad a sense of facial proportions.
- Since his teeth and bite were stable, only minor orthodontic fine-tuning was necessary.
- He needed skeletal and soft tissue solutions to his cosmetic problem.
- Cheiloplasty or lip lift contouring was performed.
- Reconstructive augmentation of his upper jaw was performed to increase vertical length and show the appropriate amount of his upper teeth.
- The upper jaw surgery is known as a Le Forte I osteotomy.
- Reconstructive augmentation of his chin was performed to also increase the vertical dimension.
- This approach to the chin is called a genioplasty via Mandible (lower jaw) inferior border osteotomy.
- All cosmetic jaw surgery was performed inside the mouth so no visible scarring would occur on his face.
- Soft tissue filler was placed to soften the deep fold under his lower lip.
- All procedures were performed as an outpatient in our AAAHC accredited surgery center.
- He was discharged on the morning of surgery to the comfort of his home.
- Chad had a very uneventful recovery.
- He experienced typical facial swelling for about one week.
- He was instructed to stay on a soft diet and non-strenuous activity for 2 weeks.
- He completed orthodontic fine-tuning (braces) within 2 months of his surgical procedure.
- Facial cosmetics is a function of harmony of hard and soft tissues, proportions, and perception.
- Understanding all components of facial anatomy as it relates to aesthetics is paramount to achieving acceptable results.
- Addressing the facial bones along with soft tissues is important to determine the true nature and solution to the condition.
- It is sometimes stated that “there is usually one correct diagnosis but numerous ways in which to approach it”.
- Comprehensively trained Oral & Maxillo-Facial surgeons have unique expertise in treating all aspects of the face.
- A comprehensive approach to, and surgical skill set of the entire face, is integral to our core competence at Inland Institute.
- We are overjoyed to see how pleased Chad felt about his results and overall experience in our practice.